Saturday, December 28, 2013

What scares me most ... and my choice to adjust.

When I started research RA, I quickly found that my love of sewing could most definitely be affected. I have learned so much by visiting various websites. The one quite that has resonated the most to me is a quote found on the home page of RA.com. It says "Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can mean more than just pain.
As you know, RA means pain. But you may not know it can also mean destruction — not just of your joints, but of the things you love to do. The longer you live with the aching, stiffness, and swelling of rheumatoid arthritis, the closer you may be to having your favorite things taken away."
I definitely don't want to lose my favorite activities. The one I'm worried about the most being my sewing. But, I also stop and think about all the other things that would be affected in my daily life. Already I have a hard time with things like can openers, opening jars, scissors and anything where i need to grip strongly. And I've only been affected with my hands for about 7 months. WHY ME???
While I could certainly sit and be depressed about this, I choose to just push forward. I am choosing to research. I am choosing to keep following up regularly with my Rheumatologist to work on a treatment course that will help me. I am choosing to try and adapt my life and activities to try to minimize pain and still be able to do the things I love. I fully believe that these choices will help me prevail. I refuse to let RA win.
My plan is to adjust my life, adjust my surroundings, adjust anything i need to in order to continue doing all the things i love the most. I look forward to sharing these adjustments with everyone. In the meantime feel free to comment and tell me your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment