Monday, December 30, 2013

This picture scares me...

When I started researching RA, i came upon this picture. Man does it ever scare the living daylights out of me. I hope to never have this much damage and deformity, but still i can't get these images out of my head.
What about this disease scares you? There's more than this photo that scares me. The chronic pain in my joints. The possibility of not being able to be as active with my daughters. The need to give up some of the things I love to do. So many things. BUT, I am definitely trying to overcome the things that scare me. I am powering forward with a positive attitude, instead of letting the negative thoughts overtake me.

2 comments:

  1. Are you under a good rheumatologist? The very first thing my rheumatologist told me was that pictures like those are now a thing of the past. With early intervention and correct medication there is no reason anyone should end up looking like that today. I really hope you can get meds sorted soon and start to move out of the fog of pain and fatigue. I was diagnosed when my youngest DD was 15mo and I was devestated imagining the worst, now 2 years on I am leading life in a far better state than I was before diagnosis, the fatigue has lifted, the meds are working and I very rarely get any pain. Good luck on your journey, I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alison. You are right proper treatment is definitely the key. I do have a really great rheumatologist and I feel confident we'll find the right med combo for me, it's just gonna take some time and adjustment. I hope you enjoy following the blog too ;-)

    ReplyDelete